I don't cook much pasta at home and, come to think of it, we don't go out for much pasta either. Practically never. But, occasionally I'll come across an interesting ingredient at Miccuci's or recipe online that will inspire me enough to go beyond a red sauce. This one started with the pasta and evolved into an adjusted version of Tagilatelle with Baby Vegetables and Lemon-Parmesan Sauce from Bon Appetite.
- 1 16-ounce package Malfadine pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 8 ounces frozen tiny green beans (3 cups), thawed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese plus more for passing
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until zucchini is almost tender, about 8 minutes. Add beans and lemon peel. Toss 1 minute.
- Scrape contents of skillet over pasta in pot. Add 1 1/4 cups Parmesan cheese, cream, lemon juice, and 1 cup reserved cooking liquid. Place over medium-high heat and toss until heated through and sauce coats pasta, adding more reserved pasta liquid by 1/4 cupfuls to moisten as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve, passing additional cheese separately.